Supreme Novices' Hurdle Trends
The Supreme Novices' Hurdle kicks off the Cheltenham Festival with punters hoping to get their week off to a good start. Gordon Elliott's Labaik was a shock 25/1 winner of the 2017 renewal.
2018 Supreme Novices' Hurdle Trends
Tuesday 13th March - 13:30 - Supreme Novices' Hurdle - Grade 1 - 2m110y
- Irish- trained horses have a great record in the race in recent years, having won 11 of the last 16 runnings.
- 17 of the last 19 winners won on their last appearance before the Cheltenham Festival.
- 9 of the last 24 winners ran no more than twice over hurdles before the Supreme.
- 14 out of the last 15 winners had raced at least once in the previous forty-five days before the Cheltenham Festival.
- The Royal Bond and Deloitte Hurdle have been excellent trials in recent years.
- Only 4 of the last 18 horses to start at odds of 3/1 or shorter have won.
- Willie Mullins has a fine record in the race
Edward O'Grady, Willie Mullins and Noel Meade all have excellent records in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle, the latter winning with Go Native in 2009 and Mullins having saddled Champagne Fever, Vautour and Douvan to victory. From the UK, Nicky Henderson is the only active trainer to have won this race more than once.
Key Supreme Novices' Hurdle Trial Winners
- Sharp Novices' Hurdle - Moon Racer
- Royal Bond Novice Hurdle - Airlie Beach
- Tolworth Hurdle - Finian's Oscar
- Haydock Supreme Trial - Neon Wolf
- Betfair Hurdle - Ballyandy
- Deloitte Novice Hurdle - Bacardys